Online gambling sites give people access to all their favourite casino games, but many UK players still enjoy the thrill of playing in a real-life casino. Numerous operators have worked hard to bring the best of those two worlds together by offering an increasing number of live casino games.
With real-time online games like blackjack and roulette, players can enjoy the exciting atmosphere and the intensity of playing live without ever leaving the comfort of their own home. Using modern video streaming technology, players can watch as their cards are dealt or the wheel spun by live dealers or croupiers.
Find out all you need to know about playing live casino games, including the rules, the best promotions and tips on how to win at CasinoBillions.com.
Popular Live Casino Games
The majority of your favourite games are now available to play at a live casino online in the UK. Whether you like roulette or baccarat, blackjack or poker, you can find different live variants of each of these games. Operators will offer multiple table choices, giving you the opportunity to pick your favourite game and a betting limit that suits your budget. The most popular live casino games are as follows:
Live Blackjack – The thrill of going head-to-head with a live dealer makes blackjack one of the best live casino games you can play. One of the easiest card games to learn, the main objective is to reach a total of 21, or the nearest to it, and beat the dealer’s hand. You’ll never want to go back to just playing blackjack online when you’ve experienced the game at a live casino.
Live Roulette – Being able to see every aspect of roulette through live streaming lifts your online experience to a whole new level. Place your bets on the roulette table and watch as the dealer spins the wheel and pays out according to where the ball stops. Whether you’re a fan of the European and American version of the game, playing roulette at a live casino is a great form of entertainment.
Live Baccarat – Baccarat was one of the first games offered by online casinos in the live dealer format. Most live casinos offer standard Punto Banco baccarat on single-player and/or multi-seat tables. If you’re a baccarat novice or expert, you are sure to find a game to suit you at a live casino.
Hold ‘Em – Widely recognised as the most popular poker game on the planet, playing Hold ‘Em at a live casino puts you in a heads-up situation with the dealer. If your hand defeats the dealer various winning payouts will be given to you based on how strong your hand is on the poker ranking list.
Each casino game has its own specific set of rules. It is important to familiarise yourself with these before depositing any money at live casino. Here is our handy guide to the rules in the most popular games:
Place your bets at the live table before receiving two cards from the dealer. The aim is to make the best possible hand where the total does not exceed 21 and also beat the dealer’s hand. Players can ask for another card (hit) or stick with the cards they hold (stand). There are numerous other options open to the player, but if he/she goes over 21 they lose their wager.
Choose your table and place your bets before the croupier fires the ball around the roulette wheel. The ball will drop into a numbered slot and when the wheel stops turning you will be paid out if the result matches your chosen wager. The most popular bets include single numbers (0/00 – 36), colours (red or black), even or odd numbers or low/high (1-18 or 19-36).
The object of live baccarat is to wager on either the player’s hand or the dealer’s hand and predict which will get closer to the number nine. Players place their bets on the table and then two cards are dealt to both the dealer and the players. Payouts are made based on correct predictions.
This game recreates the heads-up situation found at the end of Texas Hold ‘Em poker tournaments when there are just two players remaining. Players must beat the dealer in the live casino version of the game by making their best hand from their two hole cards and the five community cards in the middle of the table. If you have a better hand than the dealer, you win!
How To Play Like A Professional – Best Live Casino Game Tips
Take time to read the rules of your chosen game before playing for real money at a live casino. Free play options will help you hone your skills before going into battle with the dealer or croupier.
The casino has an advantage in all games, so check out the margins they are working to and learn the basic strategy of each game to lower the edge they hold over you.
The same budgeting theory applies to live casinos as it does to standard online play. Set aside a specific bankroll for your gambling activities, don’t be tempted to go above this and always keep your discipline.
If you do hit a losing streak, leave the table – there will be always be more betting opportunities further down the line.
Most reputable operators regularly run special promotions, so take advantage of these to boost your bankroll.
How To Win At Live Casino Games
Live casinos are an exciting way to enjoy your favourite games and there are plenty of strategies you can employ to boost your chances of winning big in the UK.
Look for the best odds – If you like playing roulette, it is useful to know that the European version of the game offers you a greater chance of winning than its American counterpart. The house edge is lower in European roulette due to the wheel containing one zero instead of the two found on the American version. Blackjack fans should spend time memorising what is known as basic strategy. This reduces the casino’s edge to a mere 0.5%, improving the odds of you winning at the game.
Set sensible betting limits – If you have a £200 betting budget it makes sense to play at tables where this will stretch out over a significant amount of time. Don’t play a blackjack table with a £100 minimum bet as you could be bust in just two hands. Stick to tables with limits that suit the size of your bankroll and this will increase your chances of making a profit.
Utilise third-party software – Playing Hold ‘Em at a live casino bears many of the similarities of the game that has become a worldwide phenomenon, although there are some subtle differences. Bluffing is largely redundant, but there is third-party software available that allows a player to quickly study their opponent’s hand history. This gives you an insight into that player’s tendencies, helping you determine his/her playing style.
Make sure you check out the terms and conditions for payout at your chosen online casino. Betting operators use a system called Return to Player (RTP) to describe the percentage of any wagered money that will be paid back to players over time from casino games.
This is an indicator of the payouts a player could expect to receive when playing their chosen game. It is generally calculated as an average based on at least 1,000 plays. Many live casinos in the UK offer a payout percentage of around 95%, significantly higher than the 80-90% available in real-life casinos.
There is some terminology that is beneficial to know when playing live casino games. We have compiled this useful glossary that covers the most commonly used words and phrases:
- Ante – A bet required in some casino games prior to the hand/round starting
- Banker – Another word for the dealer or the house
- Bankroll – The amount of money a player has to gamble with
- Bonus – A sum of money given to a player for meeting certain requirements
- Cashier – The area where you deposit and withdraw funds from your account
- Casino Advantage – The mathematical advantage that the casino has over players. Also known as the house edge
- Croupier – French word for a casino dealer, also commonly used in other languages
- Dealer – A casino employee responsible for dealing the cards
- High Roller – Someone who plays casino games for high stakes
- Lobby – The area where you can find all the available games
- Live Dealer Games – A type of online casino game played against real dealers over a live video stream
- Payout Percentage – The approximate return that is paid out by a casino over time is expressed as a percentage of overall bets placed
- Payout Table – A table that shows you the relevant payout for each bet on the various games
- Progressive Jackpot – A type of jackpot that increases over time
- Sign-Up/Welcome Bonus – A type of bonus offered to new customers when they join a live casino
- Stake – The amount wagered on the outcome of a casino game
- VIP – A high-value player that will typically get special treatment from a casino
- Wagering Requirements – The amount of money that must be wagered at an online casino in order to either earn a bonus or release a bonus to be withdrawn
Here are a few interesting facts about live casinos:
- Online casinos first appeared around 1996, although live dealer versions didn’t fully emerge until after the turn of the century
- Live casino games are more expensive for operators to host than virtual games, as they require more investment in staffing and technology
- A live casino studio typically employs at least one cameraman, along with several dealers and croupiers running the various games
- Some live casino operators have a TV playing in the background to prove that their video feeds are in running in real time
You now have all the details you need to enjoy playing at a live online casino. Just pick your site, sign-up and use this information to secure big winnings!